Hello
I am Dustin and I am a stamp and postcard collector from Germany. I collect stamps on children's books, fairy tales and fables and extraordinary stamps.
If you want to swap contact me: dustinhaus15@gmail.com

Visit also my other blog:

Sunday 6 November 2016

Annunciation to the Shepherds

On Wednesday I bought the new German stamps.

This is one of them:


Annunciation to the Shepherds (issued 02-11-2016)

The Hortus Deliciarum, where the illustration is taken from, is a medieval encyclopedia. It was written between 1167 and 1185 by Herrad of Landsberg, which is why it was the first encyclopedia that was evidently written by a woman. It was one of the most celebrated illuminated manuscripts of the period. The original copy was destroyed during the Siege of Strasbourg in 1870, but it was possible to reconstruct parts of the manuscript as its miniatures had been copied by Christian Maurice Engelhardt in 1818.

No comments:

Post a Comment