Hello
I am Dustin and I am a stamp and postcard collector from Germany. I collect stamps on children's books, fairy tales and fables and extraordinary stamps.
If you want to swap contact me: dustinhaus15@gmail.com

Visit also my other blog:

Thursday 18 February 2016

Ernst Litfaß and the Litfaßsäule

Last Thursday I bought the new German stamps.

This is one pair I bought:


200th birthday of Ernst Litfaß (issued 11-02-2016)

Ernst Litfaß was born in Berlin in 1816. He was a printer, bookseller and publisher. He became known for ending the fly-postering with his new invention, the advertising column. As he had the monopole on the establishing of the advertising columns he soon became wealthy. Ernst Litfaß died in Wiesbaden in 1874.

The first advertising column was established in Berlin in 1855. The companies now had to pay for the publishing of their ads and thus the authorities now were in control of the public communication. Today there are around 67000 advertising columns in Germany.

In my collection I have this stamp showing an advertising column:


100th birthday of Erich Kästner (issued 18-02-1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment